What follows is an exercise I completed in ninth grade sometime in the fall of 1999. Each question and answer are reproduced in full without editorial alteration. I discovered this relic while going through old papers and class folders in my room tonight. It is from Honors English I with Tucker Page, a class I will probably never forget.
Divergent thinking exercises: Personal analogies.
Directions: Answer all parts of each of the following questions COMPLETELY. Notice that the questions are not asking for you to identify your favorite items/objects in the given category. Your are to make a personal analogy by identifying with the item/object you share the most similarities with.
1.What animal are you most like? Why?
A monkey, is a smart animal and able to do many things.
2. When do you feel like an elephant? A bull? An ostrich? Explain.
Elephant – trying to find a seat in a theater, everyone notices you and you hit everyone.
Bull – anytime where you have to sit for a long time, I can’t sit still
Ostrich – when I say something I can’t explain and no one understands me, it makes me feel odd and out of place
3. What plant are you most like?
A pine tree. it remains unchanged year round, it can stand heat, cold, and a variety of weather.
4. When are you like a dandelion weeding a lawn? Explain.
When someone or a group of people are acting prejudiced against someone else for no reason at all. I feel like I am the only one different, a weed in a uniform lawn.
5. Are you more like glass or plastic? Explain.
Plastic, glass is very fragile and brittle, I am not. I don’t take things to seriously and can accept and handle many things. I don’t make a bad grade a crack.
6. What makes you feel like a fractured mirror? Explain.
When people will not even do a simple thing for you. Ex: “can i borrow a pencil,” “no” or when you are nice and do many things for a person and they still will not even do one thing for you.
7. Which vegetable are you most like? Why?
Potato, all other vegetables have distinct tastes, I do not lean really in any one direction. I have no particular taste.
8. If you were a pet, which pet would you be? Why?
Dog, loved by many many people and is given more priveleges than most pets
9. Are you more like a strawberry or a piece of sausage? Explain.
Piece of sausage, a strawberry has few sides or facets, sausage has many ingredients and many different sides to it.
10. Are you more like a computer or a telephone? Explain.
computer – telephones have one function, computers can be used for many things. I am not confined to doing only one thing or acting one way.
11. Are you more like a tuba or a flute? Explain.
A flute – tubas are overpowering and make their presence well know, I am content to sit back not say much and let other people lead or decide.
12. Are you more like a basketball or a baseball bat?
A basketball, a basketball can recover or bounce back on its own a baseball bat needs someones help to get back up I believe I can do this independently, that i can solve problems and decide things on my own.
13. Are you more like oxygen or carbon dioxide? Explain.
oxygen – carbon dioxide is anti, anti-life it can kill, there are very few things I am against that I am anti
14. Are you more like honey or salsa? Explain?
Salsa, honey only has one ingredient salsa has many and a wide variety of ingredients, some sweet, spice, and bitter I believe I have some of all these qualities
15. What home furnishing are you most like? Why?
A chair, I am there to support people when they are tired or discouraged and can do so in a comfortable way
16. What type of automobile are you most like? Why?
Land Rover, I am very versatile and don’t have a lot of needs a rover gets good gas mileage, I am somewhat of a minimalist a rover can also go everywhere, I love to travel and can do so without difficulty
17. What color are you most like? Why?
Orange, I get along with other people well, I am constantly smiling (barring being tired) and I don’t take things to seriously
18. What geometric shape are you most like? Why?
rectangle – several sides with some sides being longer, stronger than other sides
19. What article of clothing are you most like? Why?
A hat, a hat is something that people treat often with great respect and care for it more often than other pieces of clothing. I hope that is how people think of me as a friend or companion
20. What day of the week and what month of the year are you most like? Why?
Thursday – It is a day people look forward too but don’t like with overwhelming joy such as saturday and friday Most people like Thursday and I hope most people like me
September – It has warm parts and cold parts more than just one thing